Cool Stuff in Paris. By Manning Leonard Krull.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mr. Ryde is Watching You! (Ta Gueule)

I happened to be wandering around some little side streets in between the Luxembourg Gardens and the Montparnasse neighborhood when I came upon this lovely bit of graffiti that says "TA GUEULE" (photo 1), which is a common French expression meaning "shut up." (It comes from "ferme ta gueule" — literally, "shut your mouth/snout.") Delightful! Upon closer inspection, I noticed this charming little stencil off to the side, and decided to take a photo of that as well (photo 2). Then I wandered a block or so and found a different version of this same guy (3), and then another (4), and another (5)! Lastly, I bumped into this poster (6) pasted high up on a wall, declaring, "Mr. Ryde is watching you." It certainly would appear to be so!


(Click any of the pics to see a larger version.)

I did a bit of Googling to see if I could find any information about our friend Mr. Ryde, but so far I've come up with nothing at all. I've never seen this image anywhere else in Paris, and after finding these five, I wandered in a one-block radius around this area looking for others, but didn't find any more. Quel grand mystère !

Update: Intriguing!

3 comments:

  1. I really love the little hidden mysteries you can find in this city. One of my favorite things about Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. misscocomarie: Exactly! I feel like just about every street in Paris holds little secrets like this. Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a friend show me your blog, http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_rydestrokk/ :) (this is my flickr, Mr.Ryde !!!!)
    but also my friend's flickr :
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ktf_streetart who got more photos of mr.ryde (i've just created my flickr)
    hope you'll like it !
    also an instagram acount : _flashdelirium_

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © Cool Stuff in Paris. All rights reserved.
Home | About | Contact | Privacy Policy