Cool Stuff in Paris. By Manning Leonard Krull.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Vincent and Théo Van Gogh's apartment at 54 Rue Lepic


One of my favorite strolls in Paris involves taking Rue Lepic and winding up around the hill of Montmartre; I mentioned this a while back in my article about La Basilique du Sacré Coeur . One of the many interesting sites along this path is the Van Gogh brothers' old apartment. The plaque marking the place is small and a little high up and easy to miss. But if you're in the area, just look for number 54 and you'll spot it.

The plaque reads, "Dans cette maison Vincent Van Gogh a vécu chez son frère Théo de 1886 à 1888." — "In this house Vincent Van Gogh lived at his brother Théo's place from 1886 to 1888."

2 comments:

  1. People who live there must think of Van Gogh every day. I know I would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @"Life, Laughter and Paris": Thanks for your comment! I feel like I see these plaques all over the place in Paris, with names of artists, writers, politicians, etc (most of whom I don't recognize, probably mostly because I'm not French), and I always wonder the same thing. It would be amazing to know I was living in a place with a bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
 
Copyright © Cool Stuff in Paris. All rights reserved.
Home | About | Contact | Privacy Policy